Welcome to the web site for Sediment and Solute Transport on Rivers and Margins (SSTORM) Research Group! Reide Corbett and J.P. Walsh from East Carolina University and the UNC Coastal Studies Institute lead the team.
Check out our research in/on wetlands, estuaries, barrier islands, shelves and groundwater.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Off to the Gulf of Mexico

I didn't think I'd be writing about oceanographic adventures again so soon after my NZ travels, but I'm now off to the Gulf of Mexico. I've been asked to be a scientist aboard a NOAA research cruise to look for oil on the seafloor. After leaving the Pitt-Greenville Airport (pictured), which is in the process of a major renovation (so we'll no longer have to cram in a bathroomless waiting area), I made it to Charlotte to catch my flight to Gulfport. From there, I'll grab a 45-min cab to Pascagoula, Mississippi. I'll get to the ship, the R/V Pisces, about 10:30...I hope. From, there I hope to find my cabin and get settled in. I must admit, the company that has coordinated my last minute involvement in this cruise (CSS, Consolidated Security Service I think) has been very professional and efficient. Hopefully, the ship preparations, etc will go smoothly.

I'll try to report back tomorrow. We shove off on Friday.

J.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment